kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Two new cresties coming - questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by joleef on March 09, 2003 at 12:17:50:

In Reply to: Re: Two new cresties coming - questions posted by mikecoscia on March 09, 2003 at 11:17:07:

Mike,

Thanks. I figured that separating them would be better. We have had to do that many times. We have two guinea pigs that were together that we had to separate. Same with two bearded dragons (both juvenile females who are now thriving apart). The slightly larger one was subtly bullying the other not to eat. It wasn't visible aggression. This is why we have the 50 gallon available. They were in it together.

We have even had to separate our breeder rats - one female is very agressive when she has babies! The other isn't.

My husband thinks it is "funny" that each time we get "together" animals we keep having to separate them. Thank goodness we have a "critter" room!

We are thinking of getting a known female from crestedgecko in the future. We can use the reptarium then. :-)

Jolee

:I would definitely keep them separate. First you do not know the sex of the other (could be a late blooming male, which is very common) and the size difference. The larger animal would stress out the smaller. I would separate the 50 gallon with plexiglass, giving the smaller gecko less room. As far as when to finally put them together they should be at least 14 months old each and the opposite sex of course. However IMO it is best to house animals in their own cages and only introduce when breeding. They do much better with the lack of competition and stress. Everything else you mentioned about your set up is great. I’m glad you are going with the paper towel substrate, a much safer route =).
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]