kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Back to the beginning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by deadrats on March 08, 2003 at 22:06:22:

In Reply to: Hmmmm babies not eating posted by MarthaStewart on March 07, 2003 at 22:14:36:

I really should not have gotten into this from the beginning. My apologies. I should remain a lurker... My other axiom is that it is better to make the wrong decision than no decision. Put the two axioms together then you get the front page of the paper taday, what do I know ?

My point was that if you do not exactly know what you are doing, it is better to leave things alone and let the gex figure it out on their own. This assumes that there is no massive situation where a trip to the vet is mandatory, just normal concern, but experience lacking. When I was new to this, it worked for me. I still do this when I get in over my head (happens all the time) and I manage to get off the couch, but not by choice :)

Anyway, how small are these things ??? I have had crested hatchlings not eat for a month after birth w/o any problem, others eat like pigs in a few days. Depends on the animals. If they do not immediatly ATTACK the crix, then I worry that small hungry uneaten crix will now nibble on the gex. Not that the gex will starve.

With hatchlings that are slow eaters, fruit is best. Put in a 1 liter bottle cap 1/4 full of baby food fruit (apricots,peaches) if they are hungry they can eat, if not, the bottle cap will not get up and start to eat the gex. Every few days, add one small crick, if not eaten then remove it (actually it can eat the fruit instead of the gek). Once the gex start to grab crix, then no problem.

These are hardy animals, so much so that folks sell the little ones too early, anything for a $.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]