kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Possibly a sick crested?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by crestedcham on March 05, 2003 at 17:33:21:

In Reply to: Possibly a sick crested? posted by Herp-fever on March 05, 2003 at 13:15:27:

Cresties dont need any additional heat source as long as the temps are in the mid 70's. get rid of those extra heat sources because cresties can die if it is too hot!!
Good luck
Steve

:Hello,

:I am new to crested geckos, but not to reptiles and I have a quick question. I recently adopted two adult cresties from a client who had been a breeder, but due to illness had to give them up. They are one male and one female approximately 3 1/2 years old and have bred in the past. My question involves the male, who was very active the first day in the new tank but has now been in it for about ten days and has basically stayed in one spot for the past four days or so. I even check in the middle of the night and he is still there. As far as I can tell he has not eaten at all since I got him. The female seems to be just fine and is eating regularly but seems to prefer crickets over the peach baby food. The set-up is a 55 gallon aquarium with screen top and numerous fake plants. The ambient temperature is around 72-74 during the day and 70 at night. Our house is kind of cold so I have two basking spots one on each side that are approximately 80 degrees for one and 95 for the other. I know 95 is warm for these guys but my ambient was about 68-69 without a higher wattage bulb. The substrate is currently bed-abeast and I mist them down 2 times per day. Is the male just doing a standard cool-down period? or is he sick? As far as I can tell, in appearance he looks fine and doesn't seem thin or bony. Finally the previous owner had no extra heat source for them, but there house was about 70 degrees or so, and they were in a 50 gallon aquarium. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]