kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Question about supplements

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Tor_de_Fartz on March 01, 2003 at 06:06:29:

In Reply to: Re: Question about supplements posted by mikecoscia on February 28, 2003 at 12:39:28:

When did I mention UV lights? UV lights are a waste of time with all lizards, period. Just use regular full-spectrum lights (although crested geckos don't need them) which shops never sell because, a, well, what do you know, they are CHEAPER, but still give the animal the neaded visual benefits of light. Even regular fluorescents are good for many lizards and even plants. I've used a Rep-Cal/Reptivite mix for my leopard gecko since he was a baby (now two years old), and I also us it for my bearded dragons and they are now 4 and in great shape. As for not mixing the two supplements, I really couldn't care less if ZooMed says not to mix the two supplements, or if Rep-Cal says the same. Heck, I actually got the idea of mixing these two supps in McKeown's Phelsuma book from the Vivarium.

You guys can argue all you want, but I speak from experience: UV lights are waste of time, but regular $5-10 full-spectrums are not.

:Crested geckos are nocturnal so UVB is unnecessary anyway. I would recommend using Miner-All I (indoor formula) or Low Vitamin D3 dust from herpnutrition.com. Rep-Cal contains too much D3 and can possibly lead to D3 poisoning if overused, especially with nocturnals.

:Tor_de_Fartz, you shouldn’t be mixing Rep-Cal with Reptivite. Rep-Cal is designed to be mixed with Herptivite (can be used with miner-all I on occasion). Mixing it with Reptivite is giving your geckos to much D3 and A. Rep-cal like I said contains too much D3 IMO to begin with, plus you are adding more through the Reptivite. Rep-Cal does not contain vitamin A but it does contain Beta-Carotene, which is converted into A inside the body. This is actually a healthier means to supply vitamin A, as to much straight up can cause poisoning also. I suggest using one of the two brands I mentioned above.
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]