kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I saw a crestie in a pet store today and surprise surprise!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Tor_de_Fartz on February 23, 2003 at 06:24:36:

In Reply to: I saw a crestie in a pet store today and surprise surprise! posted by Tumtum03 on February 21, 2003 at 20:06:15:

That sucks. I have seen that happen to young crested geckos in the past. It's pity the store is keeping them the way they are. I never buy animals from pet shops anymore.

One other thing: what's with the prices on these gekos? I realize they are captive bred and live long, but for crying out loud-$90 dollars for lizard! These pet shop people are off their rockers. Say what you want: the money and effort it takes to set up breeding projects, the cost of shipping and retail and wholesale whatever. Besides, crested habitats are not that big of deal to set up-a twenty high or haomemade screen cage, cypress mulch, water and food bowl, cork bark and you set. They don't even needa supplemental heat source if kept at 78-82 degrees F! The only good thing high prices do is keep animals out of the hands of ignorant, and tosses them full throttle into the hands of the eccentric.

:I went into a pet store today, and saw that they had a baby crestie and it broke my heart to see how they had it. How do you think they had it? They had it in a tiny tiny container, to small for even a baby, with a tiny water dish right under the heat light, with a cheap 3inch piece of vine, with no shady areas or anything to get out of the way of the light. I give this animal maybe a couple days until it is dead. I would buy it but its 90 dollars and I have to many animals as it is. This is why I think pet stores should only be able to hire people who know what they are doing, cause when I questioned the person about the animal they knew nothing about it, so when I tried to tell the person they where wrong, they said thats what they where told to keep it at. The paper on the tank says they are suppose to be between 82-90 degrees during the day and 75-80 at night. Wish they would give me the animal and find it a good home, but I know they would not do that, they would see the animal die before give it to me, I would bet on it.

:D

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]