kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

crested death

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by djs27 on February 18, 2003 at 16:54:29:

Hey everyone,

I bought a breeding pair of adult crested geckos just under 2 years ago. They were supposed to be wild caught, so if true, must be getting pretty old. I don't expect any more fertile eggs from the female.

Anyways, their first baby hatched in August, a year and a half ago. I actually noticed her walking around the adult cage. Since I was relatively new with these guys, the female layed an egg where I didn't notice it and it hatched in the cage.

The adult female breeder had a pretty rough summer so the male and female were separated about 6 months ago. I did this by dividing the top half of the cage from the bottom with egg crate. She started to look a little lethargic about a month ago. I thought that this was because egg laying was just too much for her last season. So, I switched the adult female with the first baby, who was a female and a year and a half old.

Now, the cage (3ft tall, and 2x2ft) was still divided in half. After about a week in the new cage, I noticed the 1.5 year old female in the lower half of the cage with the male/father. I figured she squeezed her way through somewhere and if she got through, I'd just let them be together. I was planning on waiting until spring before I let them breed.

Well, yesterday, I found her dead in the cage. She had been with the male for 3 weeks. He was very aggressive with the female I bought him with, which was why I separated them. He had bit her all up. The dead female had no physical marks on her at all. They had water in the tank and I misted them 2x daily. Every time I noticed them drink after a mist, I continue to mist until they are done. Her eyes were a little sunk in the sockets, but she was also a little stiff.

Unfortunately, I thought she was a little too stiff for a necropsy. Her belly was a little on the large size. Everything speculation I have about why she died is confounded by the 3 weeks she was with the male. I doubt 3 weeks was long enough time to catch anything from the male and then die from it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a bound egg. However, I don't think she could die from this so quickly either. It is possible she got something from eating crickets and has had it for a long time, but everyone gets crickets from the same batch. It is possible that the male restricted her from eating (I can't watch for aggression all night long), but I doubt she would die from malnutrition in 3 weeks.

I know everything is going to be speculation at this point, but it is just a frustrating situation since I won't know what happened. She just didn't show signs of being sick.

later,
Dave

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]