kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hmmmm...Mike...I beleave your correct...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on January 27, 2003 at 08:42:46:

In Reply to: Hmmmm...Mike...I beleave your correct... posted by Tegan on January 26, 2003 at 22:21:05:

Well in my experience I have noticed that crested geckos are more insect driven (at least all mine are). At nite all my crested geckos are waiting perched over their bowls for crix. As soon as they fall in, *wham*, gone…lol. I have actually seen them jump in the air trying to catch them as they fall from my hand. However when it comes to fruit they only eat a little, def not to sustain them. I give them 4-5 large crix every other nite and fruit 2-3 times a week.

My aurics and leachie on the other hand are the opposite. Turn their heads up to live prey, but clean their bowls when they get fruit. They would prob eat the whole jar if I let them…lol. In this case I have no choice but to give them the meat/fruit mixes. I hate to do it because they really don’t need the fruit every nite (should see the size of the their bellies…hehe), but have to hide the taste of the meat, which they need. It is kind of a balancing act on how much to add before they can taste it and refuse to eat it. It’s always say give them crix if they will eat them. At least that way they can get a break from the fruit, not to mention the variety is nice.

I don’t know how much fruit your crested geckos are eating a night. If they are like mine giving them more crix should quickly put weight on them. So def give it a try. As far as the roaches go, I hear yah. I want to give them a try but have to make sure they can’t escape from their cages (have them in open top racks). Crickets running around are one thing, but roaches will def scare away any company even though we know they are tropical and not NYC roaches…lol
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]