kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Pics of my FTS adult female...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Lyn on January 14, 2003 at 19:16:57:

In Reply to: whats floppy tail??????????? posted by crestedcham on January 11, 2003 at 12:25:51:

I've heard a combo of what's been said before, lack of Calcium and/or lack of verticle climbing branches. I honestly do not know but make sure I dust all of their crickets with Calcium and have a lot of verticle branches and logs. I also have several of the verticle logs covered with silk plants so they can sit on them and be hidden. So far neither of the 2 hatchlings I purchased in July have developed FTS (knock on wood). I did however purchase an adult female who already had it. She was hanging upside down in the display tank every time I saw her at the store. She also hung upside down when I first got her home and for the first few months. She's lately taken to hanging out on the logs more than the glass but I don't think it's a reversable condition.

Here is a pic taken the day I got her. I drew lines to show the angle of her hips compared to the base of her tail. I know she's curled up in the deli making it hard to tell, but her tail hangs in that direction regardless if she's curled up or not. The area between her hip and tail on the left side is a much shorter distance than the area between her hip and tail on the right side.

I was heartbroken when I got her out of the tub and realized there was something wrong with her tail. I'd never heard of FTS and didn't know what was wrong with her. But she had the sweetest personality there was no way I could take her back and chose another (they had 3 females total that I had picked from).

Here is another pic of her.

Here she is hanging on the glass with my two younger Cresties. You can see her tail flops much more to the side than that of the baby.

Normally when my other 3 Cresties hang upside down, they anchor their tails straight up using the little 'sticky' patch on the end to hold the tails up.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]