kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

whoops.....posted without a message again...anyway.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by STARMOM on January 14, 2003 at 11:37:02:

In Reply to: Re:Thanks all ! :~) posted by STARMOM on January 14, 2003 at 11:25:51:

I let him chill out while in our amazement we watched his tail wriggling around, wow that was so freaky! I can really see how this defense mechanism would save your life at least once if you were a cresty in the while, I HAD to pick it up and check it out an amazing muscle, and what was really weird is that it kinda was curling around my finger...if there wasnt a few feet of snow in my yard I would have buried it outside but that is impossible at the moment, we "x" filed it.

Anyhow, I waited a bit and then misted him with warm water to cleanse and also to get any of the loose substrate off his "butt" poor thing anyway, I moved him to a critter keeper and removed the substrate and replace it with paper towel, less bacteria potential.

He seems like he really isnt bothered by the whole thing, we noticed that is climbing was alittle off at first he will have to adjust his climbing style just a bit!

So ok,I will keep an eye on it, if I dont like what I see (im an r.n. so I know about wounds, just on humans but it cant be all that different) I will put some neosporin on...so far so good, it was amazing they dont seem to bleed, just oozed alittle "the tail" built to work that way im sure, and as someone wrote, most of them dont have a tail as adults in the wild more than likely, the first encounter with a predator would probably do it...

Thank you all so much for your votes of confidence!

Sue and the critters

::Sue don’t worry he will be perfectly fine. We also have one tailless male. We were cleaning his cage one day and “poof” he just dropped it without us even touching him. They sometimes just get really scared. I am still extremely happy that you bought one of our geckos, despite the accident (that’s all it was), because I KNOW he is in the best of care =). So do not give it a second thought, these things happen sometimes regardless of how careful we are.

::As for treatment, none is really necessary. The skin around the break automatically folds inwards and closes it up pretty well. If it is dirty you can use a q-tip and some water to clean it up. Otherwise just keep him on paper towels if he isn’t already. He will be back to normal in no time.

::So please do not be upset. These guys have evolved to drop their tail, which is a natural mechanism for them. And like I said he could not be in better hands =)
::-Mike

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]