kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Leachianus Care

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by leprachaun13 on January 13, 2003 at 17:03:31:

In Reply to: Re: Wanting to get a Rhac. Leachianus PLEASE HELP! posted by Clipso on January 13, 2003 at 14:40:45:

Although I do support Mike's idea about getting into Rhacs with an easier species, namely cresteds or gargoyles, I also understand that I'd be a hypocrite if I gave you only that opinion. I had been looking at all the Rhacs for a while before I bought any, but eventually bought a Gargoyle and a Leachie at about the same time.
All of the Rhacs care is almost identical, so you could actually use the same temps, and humidity %'s, but if you still fee uncomfortable here's some more info.

It's great that you are getting your parents into the hobby with you, as I did the same with my own Dad, while my Mom is the more stereotypical "admire from afar" type of person, although she does have a growing interest. A custom enclosure is the way to go, as they are usually a little more asthetically pleasing, and better fit these large, arboreal geckos.

Finally, as for care, this might be the single best informational source available. If you go through the hundreds of posts here you are bound to find dozens upon dozens of posts about the care of Leachies. I understand that that is probably the slowest form of information, so here are some other keepers and breeders, including their websites, if applicable:

Bobby Pruett = www.rhacodactylus.net

Philippe de Vosjoli = www.giantgeckos.com

Obeligz = Usually posts here and his picture website is http://home.c2i.net/obeligz/

Make sure to check out the Leachianus mailing list from yahoo.com. Go into yahoo groups, sign up for a yahoo id and then sign up for the Leachianus group. There's absolutely tons of info there.

There are countless others that I've learned my husbandry practices from too. Hopefully some others will give you some insight, as there are a lot of well known and respected Leachianus breeders lurking around here. If you want to, feel free to send me an email through my highlighted name at the top.

Good Luck

Ian

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]