kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: belly heat?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by RHACO-JACKO on September 25, 2002 at 08:36:08:

In Reply to: belly heat? posted by STARMOM on September 24, 2002 at 21:26:10:

Hi Sue,
I have reviewed climatic\humidity fluctuations along with talking extensively with experienced Rhacodactylus breeders and have found that as long as the enclosure temp.'s are kept @ room temp.'s (70-80F) the cresties will be fine, hence no supplemental heating needed. The temp.'s on New Caledonia and loyalty islands can fluctuate from a low of app. 67 F to a high of app. 80f (some other sources may say a low of 63F to a high of 85F) throughout the year with an average humidity level of 75%. My enclosure temps. will fall to about 68F at night (after misting) at this time of year and will be app.75F during the day. During the cooler months (for me beginning this time of year, eastcoast USA) I will only mist the cresties cages once at night and being the leachies are more temperature tolerant I mist their cage in the morning and evening. In the summer months I dont let the enclosure temps exceed 84F and will mist the enclosures 2-3 times a day for both cresties and leachies, depending on the temps. The above has worked for me without providing a secondary heat source, I do however provide a flourescent light bulb to mimic the day cycle. Hope the above helps

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]