kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My way to make cheap and efficient cages.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by RhacsRsweet on January 08, 2003 at 14:35:15:

In Reply to: Re: Glass or screen? posted by GregB. on January 08, 2003 at 05:54:01:

First thing you need is a plastic container that is about 18in+ high and 12in+ long and around a foot deep. Taller cages are better, but not many companies make cages much taller than 18in. Make sure it has a tight fitting lid so that the gecko can't escape. You will need a carpenters knife, or something very sharp. Cut along the lid so that most of the center part is gone leaving enough room on the outside so that screening can be glued(about 3-4in). Take aluminum screening and cut it out so that there is enough of it to be glued to the lid. Next take a hot glue gun and glue the screening to the lid. Make sure to get a lot of glue on the lid so that the screening sticks. Now you should have a really nice cage. I use paper towel as substrate. Then for decor and furnishings I take 1 or 2(I use oak) long sticks(sterilized)and set them so that they go from one bottom corner to one top corner. Next I set a piece of cork bark up against the wall that will be the cooler side. I take fake vines(about a foot) and loop them through the holes at the top of the cool side so they stay up. Not all cages have these so you could drill your own, or wrap the vines around the cork bark. Food bowls are just margerine, or some other flat type of lid. A dome hood is put overhead for heat. I have also found that it takes less to heat plastic containers than glass cages do. Mikecoscia uses a rack system that is simple and cheap to make, so if you want a rack then ask him about it. I just use cheap metal shelfs, but I may make some racks later. In total it costs around I'd say $20-$25 for each cage with evertything mentioned above.

Here is just a short list of materials...
Plastic container
aluminum screening
cork bark
fake vines
These you need to buy, but the rest you can probably find near you.

:Ok that would be cool so how much do your cages in total cost?thanx

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]