kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re:im in upstate ny, this is what I do.........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by STARMOM on January 01, 2003 at 13:42:06:

In Reply to: go with the crested......... posted by mikecoscia on January 01, 2003 at 12:53:09:

I have a bearded dragon, 1:2 leo's and a crested gecko, for the cresty I have a 50 watt red heat bulb that I have on top of the screen of the l5 gal tank, also abbys tank is above the leo's tank that i also supplement with a 75watt red heat bulb, so an edge of the crestys tank is warmed from below alittle and she has just enough from above to keep it in the mid 70s to 80, and that seems to be working well, she is eating, and gaining well and seems very happy, also I mist with warm water, but when the ambient temp in the house is less than 70 i dont want her to get "cold" so the bulb takes care of this.

I love my cresty abby, she is a very personable and enjoyable critter, also if you have leo's you enjoy handling your critters, chams dont enjoy that and that is why i still dont have one, im like a kid i like to interact with my critters and so do my kids.

sue

:Go with the crested gecko. Chameleons are very delicate animals, and conditions have to be just right for them to thrive. I have bred veiled and Jackson chameleons in the past, and found it to be very enjoyable. However like RhacsRsweet said, they can be VERY costly to house and feed. Not to mention their short life spans. Chameleons typically do not live past the age of 5. It is even less for some females due to their incredibly large clutch size, which takes a lot out of them.

:For the crestie RhacsRsweet is right, your house is way to cold. Experiment with different wattages of light bulbs until you can increase temps in the mid to high 70’s. Ideal temps would be 75-78 during the day and no lower then 70 at night. Lower temps are not a problem during the winter, but will sometimes decrease their appetites. I find heating the room with a small space heater easier, however it is not for everyone. During the summer I typically close all the air condition vents in the room where I keep the animals. Anyway good luck!
:-Mike
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]