kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Humidity and misting systems?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on December 26, 2002 at 23:35:07:

In Reply to: Re: Humidity and misting systems? posted by G Quirk on December 26, 2002 at 09:02:20:

Through I don't own The Seipp/Henkel book, I can contribute a quote from an article by de Vosjoli and Fast in volume 10 number 6 of The Vivarium. It say's, "The crested gecko has recently been found in several locations in southern Grande Terre,New Caldonia(pers.comm. Dr. Aaron Bauer), confirming some of the data associated with 19th century museum specimens and revealing that this species is probably much more widespread than once believed. The crested gecko is also common in the primary forests of the Isle of Pines and Koutomo, a small island off the southeast coast of the Isle of Pines."
:The Germans, Sipe/Henkel and others say that those 98 claims are false and were made by an individual trying to make money by claiming he had unrelated bloodlines, and as far as I know, no other such claims have been made.

:

:

::Thanks for the comments =). Crested geckos were first rediscovered on the Isle of Pines in 1994. However they were also found on the southern part of the main island in 1998. They have also since been found on some of the smaller neighboring islands, although I don’t remember which ones, I will have to look them up in my Rhac books. Since the ocean breeze provides most of the moisture I would think that southern GT (northern is very dry), which is only 30 miles wide and the local islands all have the same if not close humidity levels. Either way we cannot provide the constant moist air in captivity. All we can do is make things wet and allow it to evaporate. And it’s when things do not evaporate between sprayings that you have problems. I have thought about using a cool mist humidifier in the room that I keep my geckos in. It could work out quite well if rigged properly. However until I have time to experiment, a humidity hide will work just fine.
::-Mike

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]