kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Decide not to purchase another male. more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by Gecko2525 on December 12, 2002 at 16:14:09:

In Reply to: Read this idea and comments!! posted by Gecko2525 on December 12, 2002 at 15:16:57:

::If you put her in with another (bigger) female that you haven't quarantined, you might be asking for trouble if the new one has cooties. If the original female is the one you've posted about many times, she might not like the stress of being in with a bigger girl, and slow down on eating again. If you're already concerned that she's not big enough, this move will not help her grow on bit.
:******I am going to quaranteen them. Yeah your right. I will not put her in with the other females. Though I was told that a 9 month old crested gecko that was 6.5" long STT was fine and quite average. If she gets to 7" I will be happy. Right now she eats like a pig. Sometimes she eats 13+ crickets!!
::
::Why not work with the geckos you have right now, and get them set up properly so they can thrive. Don't set them up too cramped like sardines, and expect them to flourish. If you don't have room, don't breed them - there's more to raising babies than finding a spot to put them. If you eventually have 3 females breeding, you'll have tons of babies to raise before they're big enough to sell - do you have room for them? If so, then you can use some of that space right now to set up a decent enclosure for the adults you've got(are getting). If you don't like the idea of all that furniture and more cleaning for one more adult enclosure, think again about babies - you'll have a LOT more of that to do when they hatch out.
:*********That is why I didn't want to add another tank was because I was pre-think about cleaning all those hatchlings cages. I am not going to breed my females until I feel I am really and most of until they are ready. :) I guess it was so much as fill the tanks. I just got a little confused and freaking out a bit. My parents already think I have to many tanks. I don't really have their support at the moment. So I guess that really upset me. Then I told my mom I need to put one more tank in my room....Well you can guess the rest. I have all these tanks in my little 10' x 12' room. PLUS, I even have a 4' long tank for my Bearded Dragon. LOL so floor space was running out, but not wall space. LOL
:The hatchlings aren't really to much of a problem because I can put 2 of them in a good size critter cage. Maybe I will build another little shelf for them.

:Here is what I think I am going to do:

:One male in 15 gallon (vertical)
:One male in 15 gallon-tall (vertical)
:One female in 15 gallon-tall (vertical) *have to buy*
:Two females in 25 gallon-tall (have been together for a long time) I am going to put an insert in the middle for quaranteening. Do you think that should work? Then take it out after.
:*****I am going to put a shelf on my wall where I can keep another tank. This way I can make space aswell.
:I won't have babies until at least April or even May! So I have time to prepare.

:What do you think Of this??
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]