kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I agree with disagreeing...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by azteclizard on December 10, 2002 at 10:19:56:

In Reply to: Sorry, but I don't agree posted by Silly-atus fan on December 10, 2002 at 10:00:16:

I puree and use canned peaches quite often. I just rise of the excess light syrup it is packed in.

:Actually, using fruit canned in juice is okay, there's no added sugar.

:If you compare the nutritional value of canned fruit versus the 'fresh' fruit avaiable, you might be surprised to find the canned version is more (in some cases much more) nutritious.
:Under normal circumstances, canned fruit is picked, shipped to the processor and canned in a matter of hours or a few short days. Shipping fresh fruit (and veggies) can take days or weeks, then they sit in the warehouse, in the store, and in your fridge for heaven knows how much longer. It can be 2 or more weeks from picking, until you use them. During that time, some of the nutrients have oxidized, started to break down, and some spoiling occurs. Canned (and frozen) fruit would be way fresher, and retains more nutrients. Canning kills the pathogens that are found on and in fresh food, so there's no need for preservatives.
:Unless you can go pick your own to use within days, or live in an area where the fruit is grown, you might just be better off using canned in juice, water, or at worst, ligt syrup.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]