kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Good way to feed 4-6 week olds?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by RhacsRsweet on December 08, 2002 at 01:36:27:

In Reply to: Re: Good way to feed 4-6 week olds? posted by raccaboo on December 08, 2002 at 00:26:34:

:

No I don't live in California. I live in Ohio. Around 70 degrees is a good temp. Cresteds actually get stressed out if the heat is too high so your temp of 80 at day and 70 at night is great. Just don't let the temps go over 85. If you can't find 18in you could go down to 17 or even 16. Some of my plastic containers are 16in tall. If you get your ciliatus out every night that should also help them get excersize and a chance to raom around. Oh one other thing, don't spray the young cresties too much or they could get respiratory problems.

Ya that is why I was not going to get a screen cage. The guy I got them from says he thinks they need the screen for the air movement. I told him about the humidity thing and he said if they have a problem shedding you can put them in a small plastic container and spray them down, I would put moss in with them to soak up extra water.

:Right now I have a pile of wet moss in the corner and a live ficus tree to help with the humidity in the cage. I am thinking on using those little critter keepers for each of them I have 2 already.

:I have not seen any plastic rubbermaids around that size. I have been looking for some as I think they would work great especially the humidity. Are you in California too what part if you are? I am not using any heat source just trying to keep the room temp in the 70's and not let it drop below 65 at night here in San Diego Area.

::For now the Cresteds should be fine just as long as they are equal size, but I would start getting some more cages. As for the screen part, I don't like them. Cresteds come from New Caledonia which is pretty humid, and screen cages don't hold humidity well. You can put a small plastic container with some moist moss in it. But screen cages are especially bad for young cresteds, because they need more humidity to shed properly.

::If I were you I would get a couple small plastic containers about 18-24in high and 16-24in long. Use a carpenters knife very carefully and cut an area big enough for a light fixture if you need one. Using a glue gun, glue aluminum screen to the top. Also make sure to make some holes on each end for some air circulation. This works very well for me and is extremely cheap and easy. Like $30-$50 for four cages. Hope this helps and good luck.:)

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]