kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

you could get a human heating pad.....$15.00.more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by STARMOM on November 28, 2002 at 06:14:42:

In Reply to: I have a little room heater too, but my problem is.......... posted by Gecko2525 on November 28, 2002 at 00:17:38:

I use the sunbeam heating pads, put it under the tank and just set it on low, it does not get overly hot but will take the chill out........

I live in upstate ny and it gets pretty cold here esp at nite, my critters live in an addition off my main house along with my puter and my kids tv and toys.....we cannot crank the heat for the critters......

Did you mist the light by accident and cause it to shatter? weird! and very scarey...............

good luck...........
sue

:My parents don't like the idea of me using it because it will increase their hydro bill, which is already to high :). It is winter and it takes a lot more to heat my room to a good temperature. I have the same problem.....I hate UTHs or panels because I don't like sticking things to my tank and it is too expensive to use the little bulbs/holder if you have more than 1 crested. At night my temperatures are 66 F and a between 68 - 70 during the day (without the room heater). With my room heater it is hard to keep it at a constant temp. because it doesn't have a thermostat.
:I'm still trying to think of something too. :(
:I am running out of ideas.
:Let me know if you come up with something.

:
::heat the room. I use oil filled radiator to heat the entire room to a nice toasty 75-78F. However this is more practical if you have a lot of animals to keep warm. I do not recommend the UTH as these devices get way to hot (100F). They are designed for ground heat, meaning they need to have an inch or so of substrate over them to diffuse heat properly. However the use of a rheostat or thermostat could bring the UTH down to safe temps. Instead of UTH you might consider radiant heat panels. These look just like UTH, but are supposedly safe to mount on walls and ceilings without causing burns on contact. I would still use a heat-controlling device with them though. You can find both these products at www.bigappleherp.com. Anyway whatever method you choose make sure you safely test it out and calibrate temps before you use it on your geckos cage. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving =)

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]