kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

sometimes........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by mikecoscia on November 21, 2002 at 11:29:01:

In Reply to: Re: Cresteds are born tame posted by Gecko_King on November 21, 2002 at 00:29:42:

True cresteds rarely bite, but they can and will do so like any animal if agitated enough. Every individual animal is different, some are “dog tame” others get agitated when you just look at them. I was hand feeding one of our females one day, one minute she was happily licking her fruit, then next she turned around and latched on to my thumb. One of our males used to hate me, and would gape and lunge at me anytime I was near. This gecko was very flighty for a while and even dropped his tail from just opening his cage for a daily feeding. He is much calmer today though and seems to have resolved his issues with me…hehe. Hatchlings also tend to be VERY flighty and easily agitated as the pic above shows. Care should be taken when handling them since they jump around like super balls. Anyway they rarely bite, but it does happen occasionally. Don’t worry though it does not hurt at all, unlike leachies who are famous for their painful bite….lol

As for shipping your going to need a Styrofoam insulated cardboard box (check out http://www.kingsnake.com/reptilepackaging/ for these). Place a few pieces of crumpled up newspaper on the bottom for cushion. Then put the container holding your gecko (should include some paper towels, and SLIGHTLY misted) on top of that. Then some more newspaper on top of that. Tape a 24-hour heat pack to the roof of the Styrofoam lid, place it on and seal up the box. A few tiny air holes should be added, but not so many as to loose heat. The box should also be clearly labeled of its contents and directions for shipping (keep warm, live reptile…etc.) I also like to put a picture of the animal on the box, and both English and Spanish shipping instructions. As for which carrier to use, I prefer to use USPS. Check out there site or your local post office for more details about shipping regulations of live animals. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]