kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I would like to add something to that........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by gexfiles on November 07, 2002 at 15:31:58:

In Reply to: hmmm... posted by Gex-anon on November 07, 2002 at 10:42:52:

Spraying water period has a potential for bacterial problems. If anything stays wet for a period of time it allows bacteria to thrive, it does not matter what your substrate is. Paper towels, mulch, or any substrate provides the perfect growing medium for bacteria, with the addition of water and feces. Bare bottom tanks can also harbor bacteria, but only directly on the feces itself, as opposed to substrate, which can harbor it anywhere. It is also easier for the hatchlings to find food, and for us to spot clean with bare bottom tanks. The only reason we give our adults a paper towel substrate is because they feed from bowls, and it makes weekly clean up simpler, not to absorb excess water or prevent bacterial growth. The key to preventing bacteria build up is how often you clean and spray.

I frankly do not spray my Rhacs often, and I have never had a problem. Tracy did spray her animals, but she had reptariums and the airflow is obviously high. The general humidity should be enough for them, and if not they have a humid hide box. The only ones I spray are the hatchling rhacs, because their humidity needs are slightly higher. However I spray them lightly, and only at night. There is no need for heavy spraying, were it pools up on the bottom, and everything gets soaked. THIS causes bacterial problems, when the cage is damp for to long. If you spray lightly so things can dry out quickly then there will never be a problem, as not even feces can harbor bacteria if it is dry. Water = Life.

As far as cleaning goes, we are cleaning freaks. Nothing can ever be too clean. Spot cleaning is done on a daily basis. Also once a week ALL cages are completely stripped down disinfected and scrubbed clean. Bacteria has no time to grow to a harmful state in a dry and regularly cleaned environment

Anyway, please do not make negative comments about something when you do not know everything about it. I am a biologist and I feel confident in my methods and the above statements. If you want to discuss this on a personal level, please contact us via e-mail.
-Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]