kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Do you guys give your crested's regular baths?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]

Posted by G Quirk on October 25, 2002 at 12:04:16:

In Reply to: Re: Do you guys give your crested's regular baths? posted by RHACO-JACKO on October 25, 2002 at 08:01:25:

I did say that using the word natural was a mistake.The Germans(where alot of my bloodlines come from directly)agree that that high of humidity is not neccessary and at times my actually be a hinderance.

:::Thats great and Im happy that you have maintained healthy cresteds with misting a few times a week, thats what works for you. The norm in my experience and in speaking with very experienced rhacodactylus breeders is that high humidity (daily misting)is a must. I personally mist my enslosures twice a day and three times a day during the warmer months and never had a problem with bacteria nor are my enclosures dank. You must look at your original post and that was what I was contesting. I'm sure your animals are healthy and are prolific breeders and what you do works (I'm not arguing your husbandry methods). My response was based on your initial comment in regards to humidity in its natural setting, which is incorrect. My point was honest criticism, but I guess you took it the wrong way. Speak to you soon. Jack

::

::#1 my info comes from years and generations of healthly Crested Geckos.The only mistake in my post was the use of the word natural. In captivity with the types of enclosures most often used, if a person were to try to maintain 70%-80% humidity 24hrs a day in the enclosure, it would be a dank,bacteria laden cage that would cause respitory and skin problems( you see the average keeper does not have an ocean breeze to keep humidity up and wetness down like lets say the "Isle of Pines")Crested are most easily kept and breed in my experiance with 30%-40% room humidity with misting a few times a week and plenty of well hydrated crickets and babyfood/yogurt.The information I give then must work/be true for I have plenty of healthy breeders/babies and so do the people that have purchased and followed the same regime for the past 6 years.My biggest point is that Cresteds are geckos, they are not dogs or cats and do not need baths.

::I'm not sure where your getting your info., but cresteds do require a relative high humidity. On New Caledonia the humidity will vary from 70-80% throughout the year (thats pretty high in my book) with temperatures that range from 67-79F throughout the year. So please, before you post do some research and get the facts straight. Alot of the people that post here do so for a reason and would like correct information. The information you post may or may not be used. If bad information is taken under consideration by a new crested owner, the cresdted will bare the consequence. So please do your research or don't reply. Sorry if my post comes off strong, but bad info. is not good for anyone. Were all trying to learn from each other.Jack
:::
:::::Do you guys give your crested's regular baths?

::::
::::Absolutely not, what would the gain be? They are not a dog/cat. There natural environment is not that humid either.
::::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rhacodactylus Forum ]