kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Actually...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]

Posted by BrianSmith on May 09, 2003 at 06:30:27:

In Reply to: Actually... posted by Sybella on May 09, 2003 at 00:15:43:

Actually,... I don't have anything important to say (as usual, lol) I just wanted to add another "Actually" to the long string of "Actually"'s.

:Oh oh!! I think this got a little confused. I do have a retic but jumped in this conversation because of your comments about feeding...It's my FWC (False Water Cobra) that I wanted to switch from mice to rats. My retic will eat mice, rats and rabbits without a bit of hesitation. However, she will not touch anythin feathered. So, when I was asking about a predisposition to feathered things, I meant the FWC...not retics. Sorry about that. :)

:Difficult feeders, scenting and feeding methods can be applied to just about any snake...that's why this is so interesting. :)

:

::Well, for starters I think tango really drove the point home they said they got their surinames feeding on chicks. All boids(boas and pythons) love fowl. I think maybe becasue, out in the wild birds are an easy catch. I only say that because when i was young and a moron. Every live duck or chicken would walkj right up to the python and stare at himin the face. Birdsare stupid. I don't know. If your snake won't take fowl something's wrong. I'd scent with fowl before, mice for one reason. I've observed my snakes to get jumpy when im defrosting rodents. When I have the slightest hint of poultry in the room they going ballistic ,off the wall. What can you take from this I think poultry has a stronger more appealing scent then rodents. I Could be wrong.

::However poultry is not a food item it's a tool. You use it to switch over to rodents. The reason for it's two fold. 1 snake fecal matter is at its worst when on a diet of poultry. 2 im no alarmist with my poultry but, remember salmonellis is a heavy associated with avian products. Even though freezing will kill salmonellis, I'd rather be safe then sorry.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]