kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My take...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]

Posted by nhherp on April 24, 2003 at 22:32:26:

In Reply to: Which one should I get??? Need your help!!! posted by abstractcypher on April 24, 2003 at 14:52:30:

:Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of Vision Cage I should get for my retic. She's only 6 ft right now, but I want to get her permanent home now, so I dont have to worry about it later. The only problem I'm having is I dont know which one is suitable for a fully grown, female retic. I know they have the "cadilac of cages" one, but is that big enough for her whole life??? And money is not a object. (well, as long as its not ridiculous) I don't want her to be cramped, or uncomfortable, AT ALL. The biggest VisisonCage I saw was 6 ft long, and from what i've learned the length should be atleast half as long as the length of the snake. And if thats the case, then 6 feet won't cut it. I realy need your help here guys. What habitat's do you use? Or have you used for 22ft+ retic's. (I always estimate high, that way i'm prepared) I'm looking to buy sometime this week, so I realy need some advice soon. Thanks alot everyone!

:Raymond

At 6 ft which is small for a retic, given length:weight ratios. I would still hold out from getting so large a cage. Often times large cages can stress out a small snake, your retic will curl up in a tiny ball in the back corner and hide out most likely. I have seen large cages affect feeding, almost as fast as temperment. I have many caging stages in my retic collection. Babies start out in sweater box slots, then upgrade to blanket boxes. I recently added a seasonal edition Sterilite box rack to my collection. It measures 40"Lx17"Wx10"H. These are great for retics the size you are describing, If you were interested in such, I have a friend who builds rack systems, email me. My largest cage is 14ft in length, and accomadates a female Sulwesi.20+. Two reasons it is so large. First to allow a divider,for cage cleaning. Second to also allow the male 15+, when they are in for breeding.(yet another unsuccessful year) Both snakes are not nice, 2 at once is a ridiculous feat to clean if I had to remove them to do such. In the end if you plan on making your retic huge go with a custom built cage, but a 6ft Vision should hold the avg. "pet" retic for some time, retics run leaner then burms and width will allow a little leeway in caging dimensions. Neodesha used to make an 8ft cage that was perfect, but I heard they went under.
Notah

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]