kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Newbie Feeding Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]

Posted by Sybella on April 23, 2003 at 22:04:10:

In Reply to: Re: Newbie Feeding Questions posted by Andre1 on April 18, 2003 at 13:33:24:

I have had a retic for 19 years and consider myself lucky to have only been bitten 3 times, ever. The last time happened more than 15 years ago.

As we all know, retics have a great feeding response. Every time the door opens, my girl thinks it's feeding time. I have to diffuse her feeding response before anything else.

Her original enclosure was built into the tv section of an entertainment center and the nearest thing to put in between me and her face was a paperback book. Once she sees the book, she mellows right out. That's what I've used ever since. I joke about her being "book" trained.

I've never bothered with the seperate enclosure for eating. I always thought it was silly because once retics eat, they think they're going to get more anyway. They're going to be agressive inside that seperate enclosure where you've trained them to eat and you'll have problems getting them back in their regular house.

So, what I'm trying to say is...The most important thing you need to do is establish a routine that works for you. As long as both you and the snake are safe, do it how you need to.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Reticulated Python Forum ]