kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Losing Turtles: So Sorry :(

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by PHKiwi on May 02, 2003 at 14:39:28:

In Reply to: Losing Turtles posted by unworthy on May 01, 2003 at 21:22:54:

I am so sorry about your turtle. You are kind to warn others of this situation, however, this little turtle may have been sick when you purchased it in NYC and that is why it never did thrive.
It does no good to agonize over what happened, and you certainly did not know what was happening. I guess this is why I think it is a good idea to take your turtle to a vet when you first get it, or at least try to bring a fecal sample to be tested for parasites. Most fecal testing is relatively inexpensive, about 15-20 dollars or so, depending on the vet. Most pet store turtles are loaded with them.
Again, sorry about your loss.
--------------------------------------------------------------
:I guess this might be somewhat off topic, but it seems like the right place at the moment let it out. My friend and I bought two turtles in NYC back in October. We used to joke about whose turtle wore the pants and whose was going to dominate the other. We bought a tank and a setup, and soon it was clear that my turtle was the dominant one.

:Over the months, I kept rubbing it in, and I joked about how my turtle beat his in every way. My turtle grew to about three times his original size, big and wide to the point where he could wolf down baby turtle sticks in one bite.

:The smaller turtle never grew. He was never able to eat as much, but I thought he still ate something. So for the past week, I've seen him lose all appetite. I saw it happen slowly, and there was nothing I could do about it. I thought about separating them, and even tried, but it's already too late.

:I guess I feel guilty over what happened. I never thought one turtle could actually starve out the other one. I'm pretty sure my turtle's dead now. I agonized over whether or not to pick him out of the water and put him on the log, but I was too late for even that.

:I guess if there's anything more to it than a confession, it's that you should be careful if you're in the same situation. You would think that two turtles of the same species could live together nicely. You might even be loathe to separate two "siblings" and wonder if they would get lonely. Or maybe it would seem obvious to everyone else. But don't be like me, and watch one of your turtles die, only knowing what's happening when you're too late to stop it.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]