kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

my city is very unsympathetic.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by sederah86 on April 30, 2003 at 19:28:40:

I've searched high and low for herp vets and all need to have a complete exam first (even though my turt just had one) to determine how much surgery will cost. They alllll want payment up front so I don't really have a choice here. I was 7 when I got my turt for 5 dollars and didn't really contemplate the consequences of a pet and I still cant afford an operation thatll cost half a grand. So it's either my baby dies or I try to treat it myself with lidocane, antibacterial wash, and a scalpel or her head will burst. I don't know how I'm going to do this. I don't have proper anesthesia...from all the sites and books I've researched, all say that this procedure is extremely simple and the recovery rate is very high. I found this on a turtle site:

"The North American Wildlife Health Care's rehabilitation network finds using .05-.10cc of lidocain into the infected area works well in deadening it. Then restrain the turtle's head so it will not retract. Use a sharp scalpel or single edge razor blade that has been property sterilized to slit open the abscess site along its full length.

Squeeze gently to remove pus. Remove remaining pus with forceps. Pus in a turtle generally comes out in a plug.

Flush the site with peroxide or an antibiotic wash. Keep the turtle in captivity for several days and observe for reoccurrence.

Other types of abscesses are common in turtles. These include bacterial contamination of wounds that spread through the blood from tick and mite infestation. Usually they appear as bumps on the toes, legs and other exposed areas.

The above treatment should work well in treating these abscesses. If treating aquatic turtles, keep them out of water completely during the medical help period. Place them in shallow water only to drink and feed daily.

Turtles that refuse to eat can sometimes be stimulated to begin feeding by increasing the time they are exposed to light each day.

Also, recuperating turtles do not do well when not kept warm enough. Raise the temperature and increase light time to stimulate a feeding response in a turtle."

I'm not sure if it's all correct that's why I'm checking with the forum first. So I guess my questions are: should I let the abscess grow and wait for it to take over my turtle and kill her or should I try to save her myself? And if I do, is there any reptile anesthesia on the market I can use so my turtle won't be in pain? She's not going to make it if I don't treat her so I'm willing to give it a shot. Please help me out people! Thanks love you all.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]