kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Kiddie Pool Ideas + Indoor Pond ques?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by jimsworld on April 29, 2003 at 17:31:46:

In Reply to: Kiddie Pool Ideas + Indoor Pond ques? posted by Maggie on April 27, 2003 at 17:28:58:

:I also use an outdoor kiddie pool mostly in the spring and summer...I recommend people to get a cover for it to keep mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water and to prevent too much dust+ leaves from falling in...they run about $9.00 at K-mart but BE SURE to purchase the deepest pool possible to prevent escapes...and you can install a pond filter and float water hyacinths...
:If people are going to keep sliders in aquariums (mine resides in one too) then it is only fair to provide outdoor exercise and explore time. I think we should really move to saying 1 adult slider at least 50 gallons in a wide tank (not narrow+tall fish tank).
:INDOOR POND...I posted at the Turtle Homes Yahoo messageboard about the possibility of an indoor pond (preformed pond shells are not an option for my active male slider)...so I was thinking about a huge 200 gallon plastic container (the kind used to water horses etc) as an indoor pond...folks at Turtle Homes mentioned the dangers of that kind of weight placed on the 2nd floor of an apartment...do you think it is too dangerous?

Ok.. Lets address the weight issue first...Water weighs 8.605lbs per gallon or 60.445lbs per cubic ft. Knowing this and adding the tub weight, plus decoration, filter, etc. You are looking at a setup with an average weight of 1800lbs. Now, most homes (Also a homebuilder for 14 years) use 2" x 8" floor joists on the second levels. Joists that size have a structure load of 175lbs per ft. Ok..Add it up. If your pond is say 6' round. Your floor could support no more than 1050lbs safely, and that is pushing it..Yes, It would be very dangerous to you. You should go to a smaller size pond or even try keeping one outside..Just keep and eye on them while they play..Hope this helps...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]