kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

---Quarantine---

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by dsres on April 24, 2003 at 10:27:32:

In Reply to: ---Quarantine--- posted by maggie on April 24, 2003 at 08:52:16:

Hmm. I don't really have any place to quarantine it and I don't want to get another tank just for that purpose. As it turns out my friend's turtle is in pretty good shape. Its actually slightly bigger (maybe 1/2 inch) than my turtle, hard shell, eyes are fine, etc and appears to be a healthy turtle. I'm more worried about them hurting each other than spread of disease. If it was a found turtle or bought in some little shop, I'd be more worried about illness.

:Before introducing the new turtle to your pet you should quarantine the new one. Keep it separate for like 1-2 weeks and watch to see if it gets sick (you don't want the turtles to swap diseases or anything) and if possible get a vet to check it...I know it sounds like a hassle but its better to be safe than sorry.

:
::Put them together and see what happens. It is very likely that they will snip at each other a bit at first, but that's normal.... it's sort of their way of checking each other out. But, if they become extremely aggressive, you'll have to separate them. They are territorial at times, but if you have enough space for them, that shouldn't be a problem. (I'm not exactly positive what the turtle-to-gallon ratio should be, though)

::As for the basking ramp, they will share it. In fact, you will probably see them lounging around on top of each other. They like the warmth. I used to think that my RES' lounged on top of one another because they didn't have enough room. But then I got a larger tank with a bigger land area and they still do it.

::

:::Hello All. I have a 6 month (or so) old hatchling. He is about 1.5 - 2 inches. A co-worker wants to give me his hatchling because he hasn't been taking good care of it (no UV light, heater, filter, etc). He said he is about 2 inches so prob. around the same age. What should I do if anything to introduce him to the tank and my turtle? Are they territorial? My turtle is a big scaredy cat so I wonder if they will fight. I have a 10 gal tank which should be big enough for the both of them. Also, would turtles share the basking ramp?

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]