kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Filter questions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by Jimsworld on April 19, 2003 at 15:46:51:

In Reply to: Filter questions... posted by Engloid on April 19, 2003 at 00:16:29:

To your first question...Canister filters are based on pressurized flow through the media....There are two types of these...Your Ehiem is designed to have water enter the top and fluxuate through the bottom and out again. Magnums are the other type. They have water enter the outer edge of the canister and draw flow to the center. Water is then forced through a tube back to the tank. The Magnum is the one I prefer. Wet/Dry filters are designed to skim water out of the tank either by overflow box or corner mounts with holes in the bottom of the tank. Water passes through the inlets of the boxes to a prefilter..Sometimes a protien skimmer is added here...(Note: Protien skimmers are not just for salt tanks) Water then flows over a boilogic base media. Then a pump returns it to the tank...These are the cadillac of filters...Hope this answers your questions..

:I know this probably should be posted elsewhere, but I'd rather get input from you folks here...

:I will be getting a 55 gal tank Sunday. I may not use it immediately, but need to think about filtration. It will come with a Biowheel 330 which should flow plenty enough, but I hate the waterfall type filters. I want something quiet.

:What is the difference in the Eheim canisters and the Wet/dry filters? What would it take to make one?

:Also..I have an Eheim 2213 which works ok with my 29 gallon tank. I'm the kind of guy that always thinks about making something that may work better and be cheaper than buying... so..

:I looked at the price and flow of the Eheim I have. It's 66gal/hr and cost me about $75. I considered that flow rate is important. Then I looked at the flow rates of many power heads. They are cheap and flow a lot. Have any of you considered or heard of a person making a canister filter and using the powerhead as the pump?

:I want more flow than I'm getting...even in my 29 gal tank.

:Any ideas are welcome...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]