kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Found hatchling in my swimming pool about April 1

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by wcoleman on April 19, 2003 at 00:55:31:

No one talks of being visited by a baby RES! So I will. It showed up about April 1 in my swimming pool. I showed it put it next to the fish pond where we have 4 or 5 inch long gold fish. The hatchling has about a 1.5 inch carapace. It has stayed in the fish pond ever since. Reading this forum, I decided the RES needed a basking board. I didn't see the little guy today. We have lots of possums visit at night, plus large pond frogs, little tree frogs, and once a racoon. So, he is not well protected from predators by living in our back yard. But there are lots of pond plants, so hiding is easy and he dives to the bottom when scared, though he got used to just watching us watch him on the surface, especially with nose poking out from under a water lily pad. So, when the tree frogs spawn, the RES will have 100s of tadpoles available to eat. Till then, he's got lots of algae (two types) and pond plants. But will the goldfish and the RES ignore one another? He could bite a fin and cause a serious infection I suppose. There are some fish smaller roughly his length in the pond too, but I'm not attached to them yet. We think of it more as a nature preserve, not pets. We have pet cats and a dog, so the possums are challenged if the dog hears them on the fence.
We live in Friendswood, TX and RES is indigenous. Since we didn't create our fish pond with RES in mind, we could use an education from anyone with goldfish and RES in a fish pond. Will RES just eat the algae and the tree frog spawn and leave gold fish alone? Or will he chase the fish until he gets to be 3 or 4 years old?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]