kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: school red eared slider

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by maggie on April 18, 2003 at 08:56:22:

In Reply to: Re: school red eared slider posted by SLACkra on April 17, 2003 at 23:52:40:

bulbs? like they look like the kind used in household appliances right? No, only long fluorescent tubes (and they need to be replaced every few months) which say they emit UVB etc and the active mercury vapor bulbs can do the job...I attached a link to an active mercury bulb which is reasonably priced...if you don't already have one you'll need a hood with a ceramic fixture which can handle the high temps (I got one used for $9.00)

the enclosure sounds very roomy compared to most aquariums I don't know exactly how big your turtle is though so its your call...
the giant cage to protect the enclosure will also ensure that you can attach the bulb+ hood to it too so keep this idea...
good idea on the guppy breeding but most turtles are strong enough to break into that arrangement you may want install a sturdy divider or screen thing so that water circulates and you can net out the guppies and move them into the turtle side of the enclosure (its also good to toss in alot of cheap aquarium plants where the guppies live so the babies have a place to hide something to eat too and when the plants start propogating you just toss the extra stems into the turtle side)...there you go your creating an ecosystem for this animal:)

:ok ok. you know those screw in bulbs for aquariums. well dose any reptile product maker make uvb lights for that? How much are the murcury uvb heat lamp bulbs. he won't be getting any sunlight due to the fact that i am in southern bc! so will the encloseur be big enough for him for the rest of his life? or will it need more upgrading in the future. also if he gets put into this giant cage would it be ok to get a mesh square and put 1 male and 2 female guppies in it? basicaly when the females have babies the turtle goes hunting! constant supply of live food. also are turtles effected by chlorine i guess they are but just want to make sure.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]