kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: i think my turtle is dying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by peeloutyourface on April 15, 2003 at 14:36:12:

In Reply to: Re: i think my turtle is dying posted by bloomindaedalus on April 15, 2003 at 14:24:07:

he's dead now. i was too late. i was gone for an hour and a half and he was dead when i came back. i only had him for about 2 weeks, i guess he was sick before i got him

not necessarily toolate. Turtles have remarkable recovery abilities. YOU NEED TO GET THE TURTLE TO A VET though. If you need help finding a competent reptile vet in your area go to www.arav.org
:The redness may indicate septicemia and thgis is fatal but also quite reversible. The turtle will probably need antibiotics but only a vet can decide if so and how much and what kind. BUT there are things you can do in the meantime: RAISE the water temp. keep it and the air neqar about 80 F degrees . Ill turtles do better in slightly warmer cages. Keep the water VERY clean. Change daily if necessary. Keep the water shallo if he is having trouble swimming (so he doesn't drown) add some bark or floating objects to help him out of the water. Offer several different kinds of foods:
:try cooked chicken, canned tuna fish, pices of melon, grapes, strawberries, carrot slivers, shrimp, hard boiled egg whitesdark green vegetables, live worms or live crickets.... many times a sick turtle will stop eating but sometimes they will becomes more picky but still eat certain things first. The vet will need to know if he is eating and you should try several different items. Also, try to save some of his poop in a ziplock bag, if you can, to bring to the vet. Please don't just let him die. take him to a vet. Have you red through a good slider care sheet? Search these pages for "care sheet" and you will find many links to good ones.
:How large is this turtle? Ho wlong have your frineds had it? Is it a red eared slider?

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]