kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some Possibilities

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by maggie on April 15, 2003 at 09:47:19:

In Reply to: not eating food: ok or not? posted by turtleyman on April 14, 2003 at 19:45:07:

It's your call.
okay we all have to admit that reptiles sometimes go through a fasting phase...I believe that they just need to give their digestive system a rest...kind a like how some kids just eat and eat and all of sudden they won't eat a bite...

My opinion is that if they are not eating for 4 days and the temps in tank are correct then start getting worried and watch for other symptoms (swollen, shut eyes, wheezing sneezing mucous, lopsided floating). Contact a vet who has treated turtles before...it is better to be safe than sorry.

If your turtle doesn't have any other external symptoms then try a treat food like boiled shrimp coated w/ calcium powder (I give this to my full grown turtle once a week it is possible to overdose a turtle w/ vitamins)...usually once the turtle takes a treat food their apetite kicks in again

NOTE: if your turtle has been eating an imbalanced diet e.g. just protein or just plants then that may be the cause of illness too...like if you eat only junk food then you'll feel crumby too

DEPRESSION: Sunlight gives mental and physical benefits to all reptiles...read at http://www.myiguana.com the author is sincere and I've seen first hand how my turtle is just "happy" after a day outside...I recently upgraded to an active mercury vapor lamp and my turtle seems to like it too (if you let them outside you have to watch them they can be eaten alive by dogs or snatched up by birds)

:i have heard people saying that their baby turts are not eating and others reply that its alright, just encourage them to eat and they eventually will.......... on the other hand, i have heard people saying that this is not good and consult a vet. which one is true? thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]