kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: some pix

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by kiwiturtle on April 13, 2003 at 19:57:53:

In Reply to: Re: some pix posted by periwinklewalnut on April 13, 2003 at 16:46:19:

Thanks for the complements! :-)

Actually my pictures can be a little misleading---they show various tank settings that I've adopted over the past 4 weeks. I used to have gravel, river pebbles, big rocks and various household containers for basking. But they are kind of hard to clean and take up tank space so I've stopped using them. Now my tank is actually quite artificial looking with little decoration. The top 2 pictures of the panel were taken at the current setting.

Now they're in about 5-6 inches of water (in a 10-G tank; a bit small I know), with a small internal filter that I'll soon replace with a Fluval 2 plus, 1 small plastic plant, 1 underwater cave and a homemade floating basking area + ramp attached to the tank with suction cups(similar idea as the commercial turtle ramps). I'll go into some of these in more detail.

The underwater cave is basicallly a plastic box (non-see-through; 3"x2"x4"), inverted, and with one side cut open as the cave "entrance". They don't use it too often, except when they get startled (i.e. when people walk into the room) then they would hide in there for less than a minute. I figure it makes them feel safer.

I can try to explain how I made the basking platform+ramp but without a picture it's hard. I'll let you know when I get a good picture of it. The top right picture that I posted shows only the ramp, and you can see it's quite easy for them to climb to the top where the basking area is. The advantage of a basking platform that's anchored by suction cups at the water surface is that no tank space is wasted for creating a basking area.

I feed them outside the tank since my filter is not powerful enough to remove all the waste, but I occassionally float some veggies in the tank for them to nibble. I used to have problems with veggies drawn to the filter water intake and blocking it. Now I attach veggies to one end of a fishing line and hang it from the top of the tank so that the veggies are at the water surface. Sort of like I'm trying to "fish" the turtles with the veggies as the bait. :P This way it's easier for the turts to eat them and the veggies don't clog up the filter water intake. And because I only feed them once a day, they get hungry between meals and don't mind eating veggies at all. :-)

Hope this helps,
Kiwi

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]