kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: help overall

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]

Posted by nogoodusernames on April 12, 2003 at 17:35:23:

In Reply to: help overall posted by jada123 on April 12, 2003 at 13:17:31:

What size is she in now?

For a turtle that size, they'll need a good amount of room and opinions will vary greatly. Some books state that 29gal long is okay. But, it is my opinion that she is much too big for that. My two sliders had a 100gal wide tank and I felt that was suitable. She should have enough room to swim somewhat freely and bask completly out of the water. I'm big on room for my animals cause they're inside. She was about 6 1/2 too.

As for the whether or not she's fat - Does her skin poke out of the shell near her legs. Is so, she's a bit fat but probably not too big of a problem. Just cut down on food a bit or switch to a less fatty diet if she'll eat it.

And by the way....RES always beg for food. Don't feel bad.

Oh and one more thing: Look in the classified ads of the sunday paper (if you live in the USA) for used aquariums. People practically give them away for hundreds of dollars less than what you'll pay in the store. I should know. That's were I got mine. Picked the right weekend and got 150gal filter and 100 gal tank for $100. I just had to rent a truck and a drag a friend to pick it up.

Hope this helps. As I said, the size one should keep a turtle in tends to vary depending on who you ask. I've heard of people keeping sliders that big in 10gal aquariums which I find just cruel.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Red Ear Slider Forum ]