kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Distinguishing effects of venom from allergic reaction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Trust on April 17, 2003 at 07:56:06:

When a bee stings, there is pain and local swelling. I've been stung by a large wasp and the area around the sting swelled up as if there was a tennis ball growing under my skin, and it hurt for a few days, even though I'm not allergic to bee/wasp stings (according to the allergist, anyway).

Down the forum WW points out several reports of hyrdodynastes bites that had significant effects. These reports speak to using caution with these snakes.

On the other hand, I have met a person who breeds hydrodynastes and claims to have been bitten "many times" by his adult breeders with "no problems" other than the bleeding and some persistent itching.

There is also an account of a bite by a fellow named Patrick, if I recall correctly, posted both here and on his web site. As I remember, he had some persistent itching as well, and swelling, but it wasn't as severe as the bites in the reports WW cited (it was also a relatively small snake).

So I'm wondering if there may be something in the oral secretions of this species, and maybe snakes in general, that could cause an allergic or allergic-type reaction in some people which causes more severe effects than in others. If so, then I wonder if this could be something like bee sting allergies where some people have severe reactions, but most only have local pain/swelling.

Hydro venom has been found to have an LD50 equal to that of certain crotes, but does it behave, biologically, the same way as crote venom? If not, how does it cause death in mice?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]