kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I'm in your same boat...sort of

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on December 10, 2002 at 17:34:56:

In Reply to: will i be supporting importation?? pls read and give opinion posted by kristin on December 10, 2002 at 10:06:08:

I always try to get c.b. animals when possible just for all the headaches they can alleviate that w.c. animals can cause. However, with some species like the vine snakes, mangroves, etc, your chances of finding truly c.b. individuals is slim if anything. And when people do offer c.b., they seems to always ask a fortune for them. So agreeing with what TJ said, your best best is to just go ahead and get some w.c. animals, study them until you know them like the back of your hand, and try your hardest to make those animals produce. Only then will you be able to help ease importation of these species. Also, you may have some luck getting your c.b. babies to eat rodents. The only vine snakes I've ever heard of that would readily take rodents were c.b.

I can find myself in the same shoes you are. My main interest is elapids, especially the Papua New Guinea species (I would say Australian species, but we can't get those anyway). These animals are exported frequently from an area that is not incredibly large. Because of this, populations will begin to suffer (if they haven't already) very soon. I'm hoping to acquire a pair or two of these animals and produce them. In my case though, it is proven that they will reproduce with some success in captivity, so I guess I have a little more luck there than you do. But again my goal is the same, to help ease the importation of these by producing as many c.b. as possible. I've also though about asking the same amount or even less for my offspring that people do for their w.c. In this way, I get everything sold, and people are even more willing to take the c.b. over w.c. So anyway, I can definitely understand your trouble. But for this species anyway, if you are truly wanting them, you're probably just going to have to settle for some w.c. ones.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]