kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Opinions vary

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on November 17, 2002 at 15:53:20:

In Reply to: Re: Opinions vary posted by cf on November 17, 2002 at 08:53:55:

:Thank you very much! I'll make an attempt to contact BGC to see if he has more details, but I really appreciate getting a bit of enlightenment on this species. They are truely beautiful snakes, and I was surprised to see them listed on the colubrid classifieds not too long ago! Due to the regulations in my area, and the fact that I'm not really up for taking the chance of a toxic bite, I think I'll go for Spilotes in the future, which at least can look a little bit similar to the Mangrove!

I'm glad I could be of a little help. BGF may just see this thread and be able to add a little insight here, but if not you can just open one of his posts, click his name, and send him a message through that way. Mangroves are beautiful snakes, and can reach rather impressive proportions for an arboreal colubrid (I've heard of them reaching 8 to 9' and being very thick). These snakes are advertised in a variety of places under a variety of conditions, i.e. some people consider them venomous and will only ship through Delta, others consider them relatively harmless and will ship them through a ground carrier. There are only a couple of rear-fangs that have made it to the presitigious "definitely dangerous" group, the boomslangs and twig snakes. Other rear-fangs have caused some pretty bad bites, and I believe some have even caused fatalities, but these two are generally considered the only life-threatening rear-fangs, and for good reason! But anyway, Spilotes would probably be a good choice to get the similar experience to keeping a mangrove without the risk of a dangerous bite (though I've heard that sometimes those snakes can be rather pissy...lol). I've thought about keeping them before, and probably will at some point. They are very nice snakes that can be excellent for displays, and are known to reach very impressive sizes. Good luck with your new snake though! And also good luck with learning more about the mangroves and their venom.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]