kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Why do Boomslangs Smell?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by MarkW on October 24, 2002 at 10:25:37:

In Reply to: Why do Boomslangs Smell? posted by Chance on October 23, 2002 at 17:50:02:

: Good question, I mentioned that Thrasops jacksonii smell of liquorice(well aniseedy) also Thrasops aethiopisa smell peppery!, it is as you stated most evident when they slough. I would like to know why as well!

: regards Mark

:I'm just curious about this. After wondering about my dark female boomslang and whether or not she was a boomslang or a T. jacksonii (she's a boomslang, I checked hers and the others superlabials) I read a post saying something about T. jacksonii smelling like licorice. This definitely made me worry that maybe she was a Jackson's tree instead of a boomer, but this smell comes from all of them, not just her. And it's not licorice they smell like, it's more along the lines of cellery. And that's mainly from their sheds. If you stand over their enclosure, you can smell an almost perfume-like aroma, which really isn't bad. So why is it that boomslangs produce this smell? And does the smell increase during any specific time of the year (i.e. in according to their courtship or whatnot), or do they just always do this? What is this smell used for? And where is it produced? Thanks for any info.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]