kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hydrodynastes gigas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on October 02, 2002 at 09:57:56:

In Reply to: Hydrodynastes gigas posted by davidd on October 01, 2002 at 12:42:25:

Hello David. Glad to see more interest in these guys. Personally, I think they are great. I have an adult pair, the female almost a hypo yellow while the male is more of a duller gray cream color, but they're both excellent. As long as they are not in feeding mode they can be fairly easily handled. However, they don't enjoy being picked up high off the ground much. They show their aggitation by "hanging" onto you for deal life. So they are definitely terrestrial snakes. The only downside I see to this species, and this would only be for inexperienced keepers, is their feeding responce. If you aren't ready for it, you might just get hurt in the process. Go down a little bit and read my story I posted about my male FWC doing a little pest removal for me. These guys are insane when it comes to their food. So as long as you stay out of their way during that time, everything should be fine. Also, if you plan to get a pair or just more than one and you are housing them together, make sure you separate at feeding time and only put them back together when you know they've cooled back down. To know this is simple, just place something in their temporary holding bin and move it a little. If they slam it, you know they are not ready to be put back together. I've made the mistake of putting my pair back together too early and had the fun job of physically separating the male's mouth from the female's head.

Anyway, as far as breeders, they are lots. I'm hoping to be one soon, and should be getting eggs within the next few months. Great Valley Serpentarium in CA is where I got my male. Glades Herp also has some listed; Zoological Imports has some babies (I'm assuming are c.b., though I could be wrong); Walter's World has some w.c. adults, or had maybe; just keep your eyes open. Lots of people have them, but sometime lots of people charge a bit too much if you ask me. I personally will not ask more than $100 - $125 for a hatchling, depending on it's coloration (whether it favors mommy or daddy) and it's sex, but I've seen some people asking $199 or better for them....so just be very selective. As far as websites on these guys go, go check out PatricV's website at http://hometown.aol.com/patrickv16/gigas.html , and a British site on them at http://www.coasttocoast.co.uk/falsewatercs.htm . Enjoy. Hope this helped some.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]