kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

And now for some more H. gigas questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Chance on August 04, 2002 at 13:13:43:

Yeah, so I've only had this snake now for about 24 hours, but I'm hooked. She is truly awesome. Docile as a kitten (though she doesn't seem to enjoy heights), and eats like the typical garbage disposal I've heard so much about. After reading a few webpages on these guys and gals, I decided to try some goldfish for her that I bought with my yellow racers yesterday. Took the one on land without fail, then proceeded to, I'm supposing follow their scent, to her water bowl where the rest of the 4 were (these were little goldfish mind you, and she has a huge water bowl, it's actually one of those smaller cat pans and is about 5" deep), and began swimming around swallowing one here and there. I can definitely see why so many people like these snakes. I've never heard of a stubborn eater FWC, which is good, because I have enough of those here lately, and mine certainly isn't the exception. And this girl is huge, at least 2" thick at the midpoint. I only have a few questions though now about this species.

I'm very interested in getting a goodly-sized male for her so I can produce little FWCs, but I'm worried about a couple of things. As ravenous as they can be about eating, is it safe to house the pair together? From all I've read, their diet says nothing about reptiles, but certainly says they'll take amphibians with no problem. I don't want to take the chance that the bigger female (or bigger male) might get a little over-zealous about feeding, and may devour the other. I will of course feed the two animals in seperate containers, so how long should I keep them in their seperate quarters after they eat before I put them back together? And do I need to worry about separating the two animals at any time during the year: for instance, is there any danger of the male devouring the female's eggs before I get a chance to take them out of the enclosure? Or would it just be best to put the female into a temporary housing once she goes into her pre-lay shed? Ahh, lots of questions. That's all for now I suppose. I'd greatly appreciate anyone's ideas about this. Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]