kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: B. irregularis Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Patrick Alexander on July 18, 2002 at 20:52:48:

In Reply to: B. irregularis Questions posted by Chance on July 17, 2002 at 12:57:49:

: Recently I expressed an interest in adding to my Boiga collection maybe with a brown tree. I was rather quickly informed that because of what happened in Guam, irregularis is considered a "nuisance" animal and is therefore prohibited. Ok, that's cool, so I'm not getting a brown tree, no problem there. I just wonder though, why is the brown tree the only snake classed that way, when it is closely related to a number of other snakes that, if released or escaped, may be able to cause as much or more damage in the continental US. I know they are just trying to prevent what happened in Guam from happening here, but don't they realize that the brown tree is not the only snake that could be able to grab hold of the ecosystem and live like kings? I'm sure there are tons of other species of snake and everything else that could adapt well to certain environments in this country, but are totally ok to be kept in captivity. Anyway, I'm not trying to start a war with this or anything. It just struck me odd that the brown tree is the only snake that they just forbid to keep in this country because of it's ecosystem destructive capabilities. I'd appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this subject.

So far as I can tell, governmental regulation only ever happens with invasive species well after the fact... preventative treatment seems to be pretty much unknown except in Australia (where, if you ask me, they go a bit overboard). It's the same with plants... once a species has escaped into the wild, and already become established and started wiping out some habitats (i.e, once there's little to no chance of any governmental agency doing anything worthwhile by way of getting rid of it in the wild), it becomes listed as a noxious weed--until then, though, you're good to go at introducing (intentionally or not) whatever you want into the environment.

Patrick Alexander

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]