kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Thrasops jacksoni - does ANYONE know diet or how venomous?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]

Posted by Mark W on April 10, 2002 at 14:00:13:

In Reply to: Re: Thrasops jacksoni - does ANYONE know diet or how venomous? posted by alex on April 10, 2002 at 10:23:59:

: Hi, Lee where have you seen them, I would love to get some more. I currently have 1.1 w/c and 1.0 c/h. I did have some c/b adults but these were very old and I have unfortunately lost these.

: I don't believe their bite to be dangerous, the previous owner of my c/b animals had a number of feeding bites and only noted some mild tingling. Yes they can kill mice very quickly but they have a very powerful bite, I suspect the mouse dies more from the crushing, the mouse is crushed completely flat by the bite!!! I have noted mice die far more quickly from the bite of Ahaetulla prasina, which only uses its venom and is regarded as harmless!!!

: With regard feeding, they will eat anything and are voravious feeders which can easily become over weight.

: Hope that helps.

: Regards Mark

: : Have seen a few of these for sale recently here in UK. Originally I was planning on getting Boiga blandingi but found them impossible to come by. What I'd really like to know is...

: : 1)What do these fellas eat. I'm guessing they probably take mainly lizards but tree snakes also show a fondness for birds so I thought maybe day old chicks? Does anyone keep them?
: : 2)Almost as important... Has anyone been bitten by one of these and, if so, what happened? Do we have a bite history that say relatively harmless or shopuld I be worried that after a bite my blood may stop clotting and that i may drop dead a few days later with massive haemorrhaging? Is this a known quantity or potentially the next Boomslang? (I have slight suspicions over African tree snakes - especially rear fanged ones that inflate throat as threat display! - Dispholidus, Thelatornis etc)

: : Okay, so the latter is probably just paranoia but I thought I'd check.

: : Thanks in advance, Lee.

: lee i keep a breeding pair of thrasops jacksoni, they started off eating birds then slowly i got them to eat rodents now they eat frozen rodents.
: 1 you need to deworm them cause they carry tons of parasites,deworm them more then once i dewormed them again a week ago and ive had them for 2 years,2 give them time to settle in it might take a couple of months for them to eat.
: 3 make them or get them a cage thats comfortable mine is 250 gallon woth branches and trees,well you dont need one that big but they love to climb so taller then longer for sure.
: they come from tropical africa so in the summer they need high temperatures and lots of misting which they drink from.
: winter cool and dry.
: well here we go with the venom thats a good question in my opinion ive kept many rear fanged snakes still do psammophis,malpolon,philodryas ecc, thrasops can pack a punch! they look like boomslangs they act like boomslangs,they come from africa,ive seen mice die in 30 seconds to there venom which makes me believe that there pretty toxic,as toxic as boomslangs? i dont know we need to do test on there venom im just assuming.
: BGF was getting some to test there venom but they died,i havent heard of any bite accounts,actually not much is known about there venom or about them. i would like to find out about there venom,there cool snakes there one of my favorite im trying to breed them,they calm down after a while.
: many people believe there harmless i dont agree from what ive seen but who knows.. just be carefuk treat them as a boomer.
: hope i helped.
: alex

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rear-Fanged Forum ]