kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks Terry....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by hotshot on May 13, 2003 at 09:29:47:

In Reply to: That's a good pic and written post . . .> posted by terryp on May 13, 2003 at 00:02:27:

The little guy is growing great and should be a nice sized snake. He has already caught my 3 year old corn snake on length and probably will in girth by next spring!!
The yellow on black rats I think is just another part of the existing coloration that shows more in individual snakes than in others. Just like the red specks between the scales. Its more prevelant in some snakes than others. I am on the lookout for a female from the same area and will mate them in the next season or two.
If you are interested, may have some Bullitt county offspring to add to your collection in the future!!LOL

:on the color and similarities to the Texas rat snake from someone who says they are be no means an expert Brian. I remember the first pic post you did of your black rat snake as a hatchling right after you collected him. You've posted your enclosure set ups and changes periodically. Sorry Brian, I'm not buying that I'm not an expert thing. There's as much warrant in your opinion on Kentucky rat snakes as I've seen in alot of books and papers. I live in California and have learned alot about the black rat snakes in Kentucky by reading your posts. Oh yes, it doesn't hurt to have a pair of F1's from Guthrie, Kentucky locale. I wonder who lives in Guthrie, KY that may have made a pair available to me? It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh well, maybe I can think of a "GOOD" answer by morning. LOL

::Here is a belly shot of my W/C KY locale black rat snake. For you guys that havent seen this before, he was caught in Bullitt county KY as a hatchling in '01. I have had him ever since and he has grown very well. As he has gotten older, he has turned more golden brown color. Most people that see him for the first time think he is a Texas rat.
::Take a look at the belly, he has alternating white/yellow. He has started this within the last 6-8 months and it gets more and more noticeable with each shed. I assure you there are no corn snakes in Bullitt county KY, too far northwest for their range.
::

::Now this may fuel your guys debate on GutattusXObsoletus intergrade. I just feel it is natural occuring variablity of the Pantherophis Obs. Obs. This is just my opinion and I am in no way an expert, but I have seen lots of black rats here in this part of kentucy with lots of yellow coloring.

::Even my snake has lots of yellow in him, as is evident in this pic.
::Happy Herping
::Brian Baker

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]