kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Taiwan Beauty Snakes for beginner?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by Kestrel on April 28, 2003 at 20:45:12:

In Reply to: Taiwan Beauty Snakes for beginner? posted by Klyk on April 28, 2003 at 19:58:48:

I would definatly recommend them for a beginner, as long as you realize they're potential size. A 25 gallon aquarium is DEFINATLY not large enough for an adult. Taiwan beauties reach 8ft(record is 11ft) easily as an adult. If you want a smaller beauty snake, I would go with a Chinese. These guys average around 5ft as an adult instead of the massive adult size of Taiwans. Their temperment usually depends on how much handling they recieve, and the temperment of the parents/blood line. My female taiwans I bought as hatchlings, raised them their whole lives as pets with lots of handling, and they're not the most laid back bomb proof snakes I own. So far I only own baby Chinese beauties, but they seem to be just as laid back so far. Niether or the two seem all that easily stressed, and moving back and forth every summer I don't see as a problem.I'm sure lots of other people on this forum will give their advice too, but this is my 2 cents..

:Hi all, I'm new here
:I'm just wondering if anyone would suggest a Taiwan Beauty Snake to a beginner snake keeper? I was originally planning to get a corn, as I want a nice, docile snake, but I absolutely love the look of the Beauties. I'm a little concerned by the size of their teeth (as shown in a previous post, lol) and their size. Am I correct in assuming that a 25 gal aquarium would not be large enough for a full grown Beauty? I've read that Beauties are quite docile and relaxed snakes, but aggressive at feeding time. I also need to know how easily stressed they are, as I'll be transporting them 2 1/2 hrs away from my school to home every summer.

:Klyk

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]