kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How big do they get???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by jeanne on April 26, 2003 at 18:04:42:

In Reply to: How big do they get??? posted by duffy on April 26, 2003 at 12:09:19:

:Do you have other snakes and/or much experience? I ask because one of the reasons I started with black rats is that they were generally suggested as good starter snakes. I have mostly North American Ratsnakes now, and I just love them all. Also, with the choice that you are presenting: Are both of these animals available to you locally as specific individuals? If so, maybe some pre-handling of each will tell you which one is a good speciman to work with. When all else fails...which one can you get a better price on??? Good luck with whatever you choose. Duffy

:

:::The Black Rat is one of North America's big ratsnakes, with a record size of 101 inches. 6 feet long would be a good ballpark figure for a large, healthy animal. As far as Radiated Rats are concerned, I don't have much knowledge of them personally, but my book says that "adults can exceed a 6 foot length by several inches" If you are trying to decide what to get, I have to say that I just love my black rats. They are great animals. Hardy, impressive, snakes. Mine are calm as can be, although young can be nippy and feisty. From what I have seen on this forum, there is much individual difference in terms of temperment. Good luck. Duffy

:::

::::Can someone here tell me how big do Radiated Rat Snakes and Black Rat Snakes get?
::::Do they attain the same legnth and girth as the Blue Beauties and other larger Rat Snake speciaes???

::::Thanks
::::Bobby

::Thanks Duffy! I'm trying to decide on a Leucistic Black Rat and an Albino Radiated Rat. Both are smokin!
::Tough decision!!!!!!!!!!!!

::
::

:
:
Right now I have several Yellow Tail Cribos and eggs, Texas Indigos, an Eastern Indigo, and various Kingsnakes (mostly Brooksi and Easterns)along with Fat Tail and Leo Geckos, Frilled Lizards, Cyclura and turtles.
I just got rid of some larger constrictors and several Cobras, hot and not. I just never got into keeping Rat Snakes although I've admired the Yellow Rats for years and more recently the big Blue Beauties.
I saw the Leucistic and the Albino Radiateds at a shop and they just caught my eye!
I'll let you know if I get either one.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]