kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How big do they get???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by jeanne on April 26, 2003 at 18:04:17:

In Reply to: How big do they get??? posted by duffy on April 26, 2003 at 12:09:19:

:Do you have other snakes and/or much experience? I ask because one of the reasons I started with black rats is that they were generally suggested as good starter snakes. I have mostly North American Ratsnakes now, and I just love them all. Also, with the choice that you are presenting: Are both of these animals available to you locally as specific individuals? If so, maybe some pre-handling of each will tell you which one is a good speciman to work with. When all else fails...which one can you get a better price on??? Good luck with whatever you choose. Duffy

:

:::The Black Rat is one of North America's big ratsnakes, with a record size of 101 inches. 6 feet long would be a good ballpark figure for a large, healthy animal. As far as Radiated Rats are concerned, I don't have much knowledge of them personally, but my book says that "adults can exceed a 6 foot length by several inches" If you are trying to decide what to get, I have to say that I just love my black rats. They are great animals. Hardy, impressive, snakes. Mine are calm as can be, although young can be nippy and feisty. From what I have seen on this forum, there is much individual difference in terms of temperment. Good luck. Duffy

:::

::::Can someone here tell me how big do Radiated Rat Snakes and Black Rat Snakes get?
::::Do they attain the same legnth and girth as the Blue Beauties and other larger Rat Snake speciaes???

::::Thanks
::::Bobby

::Thanks Duffy! I'm trying to decide on a Leucistic Black Rat and an Albino Radiated Rat. Both are smokin!
::Tough decision!!!!!!!!!!!!

::
::

:
:
Right now I have several Yellow Tail Cribos and eggs, Texas Indigos, an Eastern Indigo, and various Kingsnakes (mostly Brooksi and Easterns)along with Fat Tail and Leo Geckos, Frilled Lizards, Cyclura and turtles.
I just got rid of some larger constrictors and several Cobras, hot and not. I just never got into keeping Rat Snakes although I've admired the Yellow Rats for years and more recently the big Blue Beauties.
I saw the Leucistic and the Albino Radiateds at a shop and they just caught my eye!
I'll let you know if I get either one.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]