kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Beauty Snake Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by HumpsHerps on April 25, 2003 at 09:14:11:

In Reply to: Beauty Snake Questions posted by Hurley on April 20, 2003 at 21:17:15:

Thought I'd pass along some of my observations on Taiwans and Blues.

All of the blues that I have as adults are wary, though very rarely do they strike. A couple of them exceed 9 feet. One baby that I kept back from the first year I bred them was vastly different. He came out of the egg striking, and never grew out of it. As an adult, anytime he is disturbed he will strike at anything that moves near his cage.

On the other hand, I sold a baby to a girl in our herp society, and she handles hers a lot and has had no problems with it at all. She's been bitten one time, and it was a feeding response bite. Other than that, it's never struck at her and she just loves it.

My taiwans are fine once out of their cages, but they have one of the strongest feeding responses I've seen. For mine, it's definitely not a good idea to just reach into the cage. I've never had one of the adults strike at me defensively. The babies have occasionally given me a nip, however.

Overall, they are both good choices, but individuals of them can be very, very different. I think both are great animals to work with if you have room for their size.

Good Luck.

Mike Humphrey

:Hey Everyone,

:I've seen and drooled over your guys's pictures of Blue Beauties and Taiwan Beauties. In all honesty, I tend to go for the blues as I favor snakes with less yellow to them, but they are all gorgeous.

:My questions:

:Are those the only 2 types of beauty snakes or are those just the most common?

:Any notable difference between the two (or others) other than coloration?

:What is the temperment like in these guys as hatchlings, juvies, and adults?

:I know they have different breeding cycles than the North American rat snakes, any other differences I should be aware of in regards to habitat, etc?

:Average clutch size? Size of hatchlings? Average size of adults?

:Any known morphs at this time?

:Keep those pics coming, I love them. Sorry about all the questions, but I am looking to add a pair of these to my collection and would like to know what I'd be getting into. :D

:
:Hurley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]