kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sure enough, I will be looking for a mate for him N/P

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by hotshot on April 20, 2003 at 19:27:10:

In Reply to: Put me first on the list for a pair of . . .> posted by terryp on April 20, 2003 at 10:51:41:

:offspring when you do. You don't have to breed alot of snakes like some of the breeders on this forum do. It is work doing it. I think breeding and producing hatchlings helps you learn and appreciate these creatures more. We control temperatures and humidity. Some use digital monitors doing it. We mark time schedules on calendars or in our computers. We take special care of the breeders and nuture eggs for several months a year. Still, we may have a clutch infertile or go bad. It makes me wonder how they successfully do it in the wild for millions of years. You don't have to get into breeding every year a lot of herpers never breed and enjoy this hobby as well as any of us.

::I guess this gives me more of a reason to breed this guy and see what happens. I may have to head to where this guy was found and see what I can turn up.
::Now you guys have really done it, looks like Im gonna have to get into breeding after all!! LOL
::Brian

::

:::spots could fit the definition of piebald. You'd have to do that thing I mention to your posts now and then called breeding. You need to breed him to a female preferably (not required) from the same locality to keep your bloodline locality black rat snakes. Then raise up the het (if its a trait) offspring back to the parent male to prove or disprove if the spots are a trait. That would show up on the offspring. Shannon Brown is doing that right now with a Davis Mt. locale Texas Baird's rat snake he collected a couple years ago. He has about three months before he finds out.

::::
::::Thanks Terry,
:::: The KY locale snake is really growing! Have you any idea on the white spots? Just curious.
::::Brian

::::That albino black rat snake you got from Dwight is looking real nice. Your black rat snake is turning out looking real good and healthy. I can hardly believe he was the little hatchling you collected and posted pics.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]