kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Black Rat Snake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]

Posted by conservationist on April 17, 2003 at 09:31:27:

In Reply to: Re: Black Rat Snake posted by guarinomatt on April 16, 2003 at 13:14:25:

The best person to get a second opinion on is to a qualified reptile vet. Or you may want to try to get in contact with MSTT, as she deals with this type of thing for a living and on an individual basis. You'll probably most likely find her on the venomous forums.

:Thanks for such quick and supportive feedback. Though now I have some conflicting advice. I do have other 3 other snakes, though they are not wild-caught. The black rat snake has been kept in very good conditions and does appear very healthy. On the other hand, though I have not handled it much, it has become quite docile and even gently takes the dead mice from my hand. I tried to get it to strike the mouse first, but it was having none of that. Black rat snakes are very common where I live. I see them almost every time I walk in the woods near my home - some quite large (over 6 feet). I would hate to release a disease carrying snake into their midst. Perhaps I'll see if I can get some more replies about the disease/parasite issue from others. Thanks again:

:I having been caring for an injured black rat snake since late September. I found it in my yard in Connecticut, it had a mouth injury and was disoriented. Looked like a dog or cat bit it. It has since healed well and even taken to eating frozen fuzzy-mice. It is about 24 inches long. I did not set it up for hibernation, as it hadn't eaten between September and December. My question is: Does anyone know if it will be alright to release it now that the weather is warm or will it no longer be able to survive on its own?

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Rat Snake Forum ]